PMJAY and ABDM are initiatives under the Government of India's 2017 National Health Policy. All these schemes aimed to optimise and upgrade our nation's health infrastructure. However, all the components had a different role to play.
Furthermore, Ayushman Bharat yojana and PMJAY have different benefits for people who register for any of these. So the article covers both the benefits of using them (individually) and the differences between them are covered. So here's all you need to know:
Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM)
Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission, i.e., ABDM, was launched on 27th September 2021. It was launched to transform the Health infrastructure in India. The main focus of Ayushman Bharat is to digitalise India's health system. Furthermore, it connects patients, doctors, and health facilities.
This also includes connecting hospitals and clinics on one network. In this way, it will reduce the gulf between the patients and the health facilities. Moreover, the Government has initiated the ABHA number and health registry. Therefore, it is required to register people and health facilities under ABDM.
For ABHA number generation, enlisted are the steps one needs to follow:
- Opt for the official site, i.e., https://abdm.gov.in/
- You will locate a button saying ABHA number; you must press that button.
- Once done, another window will open, asking you to choose between the Adhar card or a driving license. Choose whichever option suits you.
- When applying with your Adhar card number, you are required to use the phone number registered with the same.
- Another window will pop up asking you for agreement approval. Approve for the same, and that's it.
A user's complete health record can be accessed using the ABHA number. Also, with the help of ABHA, casual medical consultancy can take place digitally. On the other hand, Health Registry verifies the health facility and makes it trustworthy.
Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY)
Under Ayushman Bharat, Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana is one of the two components. PM-JAY is an initiative launched in 2018, keeping in mind the goal of providing health insurance. Also, health insurance is a sum of five lakhs rupees to each family for a year. Now, when we talk about this sum, it is provided for secondary and tertiary-level medical treatment.
Moreover, PM-JAY focuses on India's citizens below the poverty line. Now, this includes around 10.74 crore families. Furthermore, these families account for 40% of the Indian Population. As a consequence, PMJAY is an essential scheme. This is also because these families under the poverty line comprise most of the Indian Population.
Over and above, the various citizens of India registered under SECC 2011 (i.e., Socio-Economic Caste Census 2011) are eligible for the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY). Before PM-JAY was launched, it used to be known as the National Health Protection Scheme (NHPC). In addition, there used to be a Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RBSY) which the PM-JAY consumed.
Consequently, families registered under SECC-2011 and those paid under RBSY are also covered under PM-JAY. Therefore, for PMJAY registration, enlisted are the steps one needs to follow:
- Opt for visiting their official website (i.e., for the PMJAY scheme) by the Government, i.e., bis PMJAY
- When locating the "Am I Eligible" tab, press it.
- You will be asked to fill in the mobile no. and CAPTCHA code.
- Now, opt for generating the OTP button.
- Put your name and your State, household number, ration card number, etc.
- You will see your name displayed if, in the case, you have your family registered under Ayushman Bharat Yojana. Moreover, you must choose the hospital or clinic where you want the treatment. After that, a list of specialists and doctors will be displayed.
Furthermore, you will get the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana card and a permanent identification number. These two are needed for availing of the service. Last but not least, it is important to know that under PMJAY, one should opt for cashless hospitalisation. So, the insurance company will pay the hospital bills directly to the respective healthcare provider.
Differences Between ABDM and PMJAY
ABDM vs PMJAY is two different things, and no one should confuse both as one thing. To clear up all the confusion, a list of differences is provided.
- ABDM is an initiative to create a digital environment in the health system. Also, it doesn't offer any compensation. However, PMJAY, on the other hand, is a health cover scheme.
- ABDM is a measure to make the health infrastructure digital. But PMJAY was launched to make health treatment available to many citizens of India.
- Under ABDM, anyone can register for the Ayushman card online. This is required to make the digital features of ABDM available. However, PMJAY is only valid for eligible people, i.e., 40% of the Indian Population as per SECC-2011.
- Along with the treatment, PM-JAY covers the cost of medicines, food, accommodation non-intensive as well as intensive care expenses, which are not provided in ABHA.
- ABDM will make the health system digital by providing a database of all medical records, appointment schedules, etc. PMJAY provides free health treatment of up to 5 lakhs to eligible people.
- Moreover, ABDM provides digital access and convenience in health-related services, while PMJAY promises financial aid for health-related issues. Thus, it is clear that ABDM and PMJAY are two different things, each with its objectives.
The ABDM initiative is meant to make the health system more efficient and technologically advanced. At the same time, PMJAY is a government-funded health cover scheme that provides health protection to those who need it most. Thus, both initiatives are meant to benefit the citizens of India in different ways.
Comparison of ABDM and PMJAY
- Coverage: Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM) is a mission for providing digital health care services to the people of India to cover all sections of society. On the other hand, Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY) is a government scheme designed explicitly for poor and underprivileged areas.
- Eligibility: Under ABDM, anyone with a valid Aadhaar card can avail of digital health services. However, under PMJAY, the eligibility criteria are more stringent and include people who are Below Poverty Line (BPL), Above Poverty Line (APL), and Economically Weaker Sections (EWS), among others.
- Services: ABDM provides digital health services such as e-consultation, telemedicine, health records, e-pharmacy, and other services. In addition, PMJAY offers financial assistance for hospitalisation in case of various illnesses and accidents.
- Cost: The cost of services under ABDM is nominal as compared to PMJAY. Under PMJAY, the Government provides financial assistance to cover up to Rs 5 lakhs of hospitalisation costs per family per year.
Thus, ABDM and PMJAY are different government initiatives to provide health services to the people of India. Furthermore, while ABDM provides digital health services, PMJAY offers financial assistance for hospitalisation in case of various illnesses and accidents. Therefore, both initiatives' eligibility criteria, costs, and benefits differ.
The Ayushman Bharat mission will improve India's health system and make it more efficient. It is because of the motive of the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission that it will make it easier to reach doctors sooner. Besides, doctors can access their digital health reports beforehand. Therefore, they can further try to treat the patient as soon as possible.
Then in case the patient cannot afford the treatment, then PMJAY will be a saviour to them. It will cover the total expense, i.e., from medicines and treatment to food and accommodation. So everything mentioned will be covered, and people won't have to pay a penny. Therefore, ABDM vs PMJAY is two different but essential initiatives of the Government to provide health care services to the people of India. Each one has its objectives, eligibility criteria, and services that benefit the Indian Population as per SECC-2011.
How can we apply for PMJAY Card?
To apply for PMJAY Card:
- Click on the link https://setu.pmjay.gov.in.
- Sign in and then look for the beneficiary list. If you are eligible for PMJAY, complete your KYC by providing the required documents.
- Once your KYC is approved, download your AyushmanBharat card.
Are BPL and Ration Card holders eligible for PMJAY?
BPL and Ration card holders can only be eligible for PMJAY if their names are registered in SECC-2011, or they cannot apply for PMJAY. Thus, they will not be suitable for PMJAY and must fill out the application form to register for SECC-2011.
Is it necessary to register on the Health Registry of ABDM
It is optional to go for Ayushman Card online and apply for one, but a health registry will come in handy for health facilities. First, it will help keep track of the patient's medical history and better diagnose. It is free to register on the health registry. Lastly, it will help the Government to identify and treat the patient in a better way.
How long will an Ayushman card remain active?
The Ayushman card remains active for a year and needs to be renewed. The duration of the Ayushman card is from June to May next year. After the expiration, you can renew it for another year.