In India, digitisation has completely changed how we conduct business. And when it comes to leveraging digitalisation, the healthcare industry is not far behind these days. The Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM), also known as the National Digital Health Mission that was established by the Central Government in an effort to digitise the nation's healthcare system (NDHM).
This mission aims to issue a digital health ID to everyone who is a resident of India and give hospitals and insurance companies a unified online platform to access patient records. Let’s understand what exactly is health ID, the benefits of holding this ID and also discuss the steps of applying for this online.
What Is Health ID (PHR)
The health ID card is an online record-keeping platform that was launched on 27th September 2021 by the honourable Prime Minister Narendra Modi as part of the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM). The Health Identity Card is being hailed as a first-of-its-type project and includes a privacy and security feature-rich online health records repository.
As a result, it will make it easier to transfer records of health, illness, doctors, appointments, medication, etc., from any location. The Digital Health ID may be generated using the NDHM Health Records Application or by simply visiting the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission ID by citizens of all age groups.
To manage consent and share future health records, the holder of the Health ID must additionally create a Personal Health Records (PHR) address. It’s a straightforward self-declared username that allows the patient to sign the Information Exchange and Consent Manager (HIE-CM). This application deals with the connecting and exchanging of health records.
Features Of Health ID
A health ID is more of a necessity nowadays than a luxury. Let’s take a look at some of its key components.
- It’s a unique 14-digit health identification number that will serve as each citizen's health account. All of a person's health-related data will be kept in the national Health ID.
- It’s used for the patient’s medical records threading, identification, and unique authentication.
- Only with the patient’s fully informed agreement or consent will this record be accessible to various systems and parties.
- A person's fundamental information, like their mobile number or Aadhaar number, is used to create the health ID.
- A mobile application can be used to view and share personal healthcare records with hospitals and healthcare practitioners.
- Details about each test, each illness, the doctors seen, the medications taken, and the diagnosis will all be included in this health account. Even if the patient moves to a new location and sees a different doctor, this information will still be highly helpful because it is portable and simple to obtain.
- Health ID under the NDHM is optional and free. However, according to the government, collating all health-related information in one place will significantly help in health program planning and budgeting. It will also give useful insight into implementing various programs that will be highly beneficial for the citizens of India.
Benefits Of Health ID
With the aid of a Digital Health ID card, the applicants may keep track of the necessary medical data online. Let’s review the benefits of a health id card.
- Electronic Medical Records: The biggest and the most important benefit of having a health ID is to access all medical information like tests, treatment, diagnosis, and history of hospitalisation digitally. This removes the hassle of maintaining multiple paper files, which are prone to be lost and damaged.
- Linking to PHR: By linking your PHR to your health ID, you can securely share your complete medical history instantly, thus creating lifelong medical records in one place.
- Access to Doctor’s Details: When you have a health ID card, you get access to a database of registered medical professionals, their qualifications, and specialisations.
- Easy Lookup: Registered patients can easily look up public and private healthcare facilities in India with the aid of the HFR (Health Facility Registry).
- Secure Sharing of Information: The online platform is encrypted, and a patient can safely share their medical history in mere minutes with a new doctor. This will enable the doctor to fully understand the past illnesses and course of treatment undertaken by other doctors.
- Easy and Permission-based Access: Health id card registration is very simple, and can be done by inputting the basic information. Your health records are shared only if you give consent, and at any time you can even revoke this permission at any time.
How To Apply For Your Health Id
Health id card online apply process is very simple and can be completed with the following steps without the need to visit any CSC centre. All you need is to keep your mobile number, Adhaar card, or driver’s license details handy.
- Navigate to the webpage healthid.ndhm.gov.in
- Click on the ‘create ABHA number’ button on the top right corner of the website.
- You are redirected to a page where you get an option to create the ABHA number using your Aadhaar number or your Driving Licence.
- Selecting Aadhaar Card:
- If you wish to create the health ID number using an Aadhaar card, then select this option. You will be prompted to enter your Aadhaar Card number, and an OTP will be sent to your linked mobile number.
- Upon entering the code, you will be redirected to the page which shows all your details like your full name, date of birth, and address as per your Aadhaar card.
- Verify if all the details are correct, and instantly your 14-digit ABHA number is created and displayed on the screen. This is also sent to you on your registered mobile number.
5. Selecting a Driving Licence:
- If you wish to create the health ID number using a driving license, then select this option. You will be prompted to enter your mobile number, and an OTP will be sent to your number.
- You are then prompted to enter all your driving license details.
- Complete your profile information, and a 14-digit ABHA number is created and displayed on the screen. This is also sent to you on your registered mobile number.
You can also download the same by clicking on the download ABHA number Card button.
Apart from the above-mentioned process, users can also complete the registration process on partnered websites like Ekacare.
The government hopes to greatly improve the standard of healthcare in India through this Ayushman Bharat Digital Health Account (Health ID).
What is the Health ID number?
ABHA number is a unique 14-digit number that identifies you as a participant in India's digital healthcare ecosystem.
Is it compulsory to have an Adhaar card number to register for Health ID?
No, it’s not mandatory to have an Adhaar card to create a health ID. You can also use your mobile number.
What other identification documents are acceptable to create ABHA number apart from an Aadhaar card?
Apart from an Aadhaar card, the other identification document that can be used is the Driving License.
Are my medical records safe?
The online platform uses encryption for utmost security, and your medical records are not shared until you provide consent. At any point in time, you can also temporarily deactivate or even delete your ABHA number.