After the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, it was high time to improve the overall systems and facilities regarding healthcare so that people and the medical ecosystem could be better prepared not only for bigger scenarios like a pandemic but also to streamline the services on a more day-to-day basis. Medical emergencies may happen at any time. If you are travelling and find yourself in urgent need to visit a doctor, it may get slightly difficult for you, as you may not have carried your files, folders, imaging tests, etc., with you.
Carrying all the medical reports to a new city when you are travelling or even to a doctor in your own city may take time and effort. Having a seamless record of all the papers in one place in order may not even be possible at all times. The ABHA card is the solution for this.
Recognising this need, the government came up with a platform that would help each citizen of India store all their medical information online on a digital platform. The Government of India launched the Ayushman Bharat Health Account with the same initiative and plan. This platform was created for the ease of every voluntary citizen in India who chose to avail of the benefits that this platform could provide.
What is the Abha card?
Registering and applying for the ABHA health card would provide you with an ABHA number, a 14-digit unique number randomly assigned to each participant in this digital ecosystem. It will be your identification number as you enter the system to revolutionise India’s healthcare platform. The ABHA number will help you establish yourself on this digital medium that is accepted by healthcare providers, hospitals, insurance agencies, and many other stakeholders across the country.
This digital ID solves several purposes. If you find it challenging to keep track of your medical records and keep your history in place, this ID will bring a solution to your issues as it can become the platform wherein you store and record all your medical information in one place. Now, all you will have to do is, instead of carrying a huge stack of papers for your doctors to read and go through, provide them with your 14-digit health ID number so that they can view the information that you have uploaded on the online platform instantly.
They can also search and read about the relevant diagnosis or tests that may be important for your treatment. It can come in handy, especially when you are travelling elsewhere and may need your papers.
Benefits of ABHA card
The Ayushman Bharat Health Card is a highly effective and advantageous system that can eventually help streamline medical care facilities all across the country. Since this platform is universally approved across India, and many healthcare providers have accepted its use, it can be highly helpful for the citizens to also create their IDs so that they get better access to the facilities on the platform.
When you register and download the ABHA card, you can reap the following benefits:
- Easy access to all your medical information and history with a few clicks. You can store all information like testing, imaging tests, diagnoses, medical prescriptions, allergies, surgeries, procedures, etc.
- Share this information and your medical records with relevant and concerned people like hospitals, private clinics, doctors, insurance providers, etc. You can share this information with doctors all across India.
- You can access the Healthcare Professional Registry (HPR). It is a compilation of all the doctors in India with their details.
- The HFR – Health Facility Registry is also a part of the ABDM health card advantages. This is a list of India's government and private medical services and facilities.
- You can also avail of the AYUSH treatment facilities with the help of the ABHA card.
Objectives of ABHA Card
Among the prime objectives of this card was to change the face and shift the healthcare facilities in India to a more digitised and updated system. The need to shift to digitisation was important as this could significantly assist the healthcare industry in storing, accessing, and tracking all medical information efficiently.
It would also end up saving a significant amount of time as doctors could access the information online. Since there are multiple stakeholders in the medical ecosystem, it became important to have a system that would streamline and make the field equal for all. ABDM aimed to provide India with this standardised system that would help the country access and share medical information.
How to register for an ABHA card online
Two primary ways are using which you can apply for this health ID by registering online.
- Via Aadhar card – If your phone number is linked to your Aadhar card, you will be able to opt for this method as it requires an OTP verification.
- Via Driving License – If you use this method, you will have to obtain an enrolment number from the nearest ABDM portal. You can take your license to an ABDM facility to get your identity verified. Once that is complete, your ABHA ID card will be generated.
Using the online method to generate your Ayushman health card is easy and requires a few simple steps:
- Visit the official website or the ABHA mobile app
- Click on ‘create my ABHA number’
- Choose the method – Driving License, Aadhar, or PAN number
- An OTP will be sent to your phone, enter that
- After the verification of the phone number, you will be directed to the National Health Authority page. Here, you will have to enter your personal details like – name, age, gender, email id, etc.
- Once you check and verify your details, you can download your Aabha Health card.
Each time you need to log onto the platform, you will have to enter the same credentials to be able to access your account and your information.
Eligibility for ABHA card
Anyone who is a citizen of India will be eligible to register for the Ayushman Bharat Card. Soon, the card will also be available for children. You will need to have the relevant documents provided by the Government of India, like the Aadhar card, to register online.
What are the documents required to register for the ABHA card?
When you are registering online for the ABHA card, you may not need to physically submit any documents. However, since the registration is online, you may have to input the details of a few official documents – mobile number, Aadhar number, PAN number, Driving License number, etc.
How much will it cost to create the Ayushman Bharat Card?
Registering and completing the ABHA health card download will not cost anything. You will not even have to visit any government centre to apply for this card as the process is online.
Can I remove my information and delete my ABHA account?
Yes, registering for this card is voluntary. You can also choose to remove your information, delete your account, or revoke access from certain stakeholders at any time you deem fit.